Friday, September 2, 2011

Pumpkin Almond-Brazilnut-Cashew Muffins & Nuts and Bolts

Baking Time!

The other day I had what I thought was this fantastic idea as I sat on the bus to university... pumpkin & peanut butter muffins! Yumm... anyway it eventually evolved into pumpkin with almond-brazilnut-cashew spread (ABC spread), and so I decided to give it a go. I kinda used the baseline of a banana & sultana bread recipe that I've cooked from before, and then modified it like crazy so it was completely different. The result?? Pretty good, but peanut butter would have been better haha!

Here they are all fresh from the oven...


Cut in half...

And if you're interested, here's the rough recipe I used:
Oven 180'C (350'F I think)

1/2 cups splenda (can use normal sugar)
1 cup pureed pumpkin (We don't get canned pumpkin in Australia, so I had to actually cut up a pumpkin and boil it up, then mash it up... gasp!)
4 eggs (or could use egg replacer)
3/4 cup water
1 cup ABC spread (or maybe peanut butter? sunflower seed butter? the choices...)
3 1/2 cups quinoa flour (this was what I planned, but I couldn't find it and used spelt instead)
2 tsp baking soda
30 raisins
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon (I may have added more)
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp LSA mix (linseed, sunflower seed, almond meal)
1 tsp chia seeds

Pretty much put all the dry ingredients together, add wet, stir... put in muffin tray... bake for 20-25 mins. I baked about 25 minutes and it was probably slightly drier than I like.. although I like my muffins slightly undercooked :)

Makes 18 muffins or 2 x loaves



Then I made this... it's called "Nuts and Bolts", recipe here: Nuts and Bolts snacks 
It's definitely not totally healthy (has 1/2 cup oil!), but I made it for the 110km hike I'm doing next week, so I will be needing extra energy and it's... EXTREMELY morish. Plus, usually when I bushwalk I have a problem with... not eating. Basically, I struggle to drink enough water, then I'm dehydrated so I can't eat much. Last 3 day hike? Lost 3 kilograms. So this time I'm prepared and have gatorade mix and yummy snacks... which means I'll probably gain weight instead... although I do plan to share it with the others, and it does make a HUGE batch.


This is what I ate while I was baking... I just like to take pictures of peanut butter and jam bread because it looks so tasty.